The area around the commune of Tourrettes sur Loup is very popular with clients looking for a house to buy on the French Riviera.
However when driving around the area to the west of the village of Tourrettes sur Loup they sometimes come across a strange series of pillars which never fails to incite questions. These are the remains of the Pont du Loup, a former railway viaduct bridging the Loup river, and from which the small village in the valley draws its name. The railway line from Nice to Draguignan was built at the end of the 19th century to open up the
area behind the coast, and the viaduct, which was an essential part, was built between December 1890 and April 1892.
The rapidity with which this imposing edifice was built shows the importance given by the authorities to the project. The viaduct also proved an important tourist attraction and people came from far beyond Tourrettes sur Loup to see it: two hotel/restaurants were opened to cater to them.
This attraction lasted until the last war when, the 22nd of August 1944, the retreating German army decided to blow up part of the bridge to protect themselves from the advancing American troops. However 500 meters away there is a similar viaduct, less spectacular but still intact, which gives a good idea of what the destroyed version was like.