The French Riviera is renowned the world over for its first-class golf clubs and many people searching for properties for sale in the South of France say proximity to a course is a must.
Golf was introduced to the region at the end of the 18th century by Grand-Duc Michael, the disgraced brother of Russian Tsar Alexander III who was banished to France due to an ill-matched marriage.
Grand-Duc Michael was already a keen golfer, and he soon realised that not everything was bad about his new enforced home. Indeed, the Cote d’Azur offered then, as it does now, endless possibilities for golf and in 1891 the area’s first course, the Cannes-Mandelieu Golf Club, was opened.
Today, the Cote d’Azur boasts some of the greatest golf courses in the world, many of which are located in the Var and within a short drive from our .
In fact, the Var has no less than 17 places to play golf – ranging from a few low-key places where you can practice at six holes, to some world-class 18 holes courses which can be enjoyed all year round due to the fantastic weather.
Here is a guide to some of our favorite Var courses for all those golfing-enthusiasts looking for property for sale in the South of France:
- Golf Club de Beauvallon – This club is 30kms weat of Frejus, and within an easy drive of most of our villas for sale in La Garde Freinet. The Var’s oldest club, it was founded in 1923 and enlarged to an 18-hole course in 1996.
- Golf de Saint-Maxim – This 18-hole course was designed by English architect Don Harradine, and covers an area of 150 acres. There is also a 9-hole course as well as a 22 bay driving range, a chipping and a putting green.
- Golf de Valgarde – This golf club in La Garde should not be confused by those looking for as being just down the road. La Garde is a town 5km west of Toulon, but it’s still not too far to go for a challenging game on the 18 hole course.
- Golf de Barbaroux – This club is situated near Brignoles, a short drive from some of our . Another 18 hole course, it enjoys beautiful views over the Var countryside.
- Golf de Roquebrune – This club is situated almost half way between Cannes and Saint Tropez, so in an ideal spot for many people looking for . It is an 18 hole course with a very active club house.